Thursday, January 21, 2010

N503 Mission - Marcelo Espinosa

I was born and raised in a different country. I completed my undergraduate’s studies in a different university and currently I am attending a different college. For the past 8 years I have lived in a different culture. Today, and based on my past experiences, it would be easier to assume that my mission is to be different and adapt to challenges. However, being away from my country has force me to redirect my vision and mission in life. I do not believe there is something missing in my life; yet I do believe there is something thta still needs to be explored.

In the last paper I wrote that I want to promote access to knowledge to others. Due to my studies I have learned the importance of investigate reasons of why some new technological innovations succeed and others fail. More importantly, there is a desire inside of me that tells me that I need to understand why new technologies do not work in different cultures. I want to find out what can I do to improve communications between cultures and people within that culture, especially Ecuador’s. I want my country to be better. I am aware and fully committed that my success is my culture success. I am not planning to become the next president and ask people to follow me but I do see myself leading by example.

It is going to be a challenge to achieve this mission. Technologically, economically and geographically my country is not as “friendly” as others. Someone needs to take stand and lead with a starting point. Implementing video could be very beneficial to many businesses to expand to others. TV stations and newspapers Web sites can reach more audience and help enlighten communities. Also, producing and creating exceptional flash animation could grab younger audience. However, the most important technological requirement to meet my mission is continuously research. There is no new technology that would work in my country with out an insightful research study. Why does Video, flash, 3d, and other applications need to be implemented in my country? Initially all these apps sound wonderful and would be nice to use them all the times, but with out a solid study that tells me that this is the future of media in Ecuador, there is not a clear purpose.

There are few examples, both exploratory and functional that support my mission. There are some research studies that lead this phenomenon. For example, Converged Journalism and Quality: A Case Study of the Tampa Tribune News Stories by Edgar Huang. Convergence culture: where old media and new media collide by Henry Jenkins. Mi mission would allow me to explore possibilities, overcome technological obstacles and engaged others in similar studies. Additionally, there are websites such as WorldNow can also help guide to achieve my mission. “WorldNow delivers advanced Internet technology that enables local media companies to build profitable Internet businesses. The WorldNow Producer is an entirely browser-based Site Management System and a cost-effective way to manage and distribute media content on the web” [i] Such examples are just a few that can facilitate me to explore different possibilities.

4 comments:

  1. Marcelo

    You bring up a very interesting point. What some technology advances might work for the United States will not work for other countries? For example many of the third world countries out there cannot afford food let along the latest technology advances. This reminds me of a video game I use to play when I was a teenager. It was called Civilization. Perhaps you might have heard of it. It is a game in which you are the ruler of your own country and you decide the fate of the country. Most of the time it was the countries that made the most technology advances that ruled the world. Others chose the military route or a sneak attack. What are the answers here to solve this problem? How can we bring these countries together in terms of technology? I do not have an answer for this. Perhaps you will find a solution or I might later down the road. Although in my opinion we can learn a great deal from each other. I find that a lot of technology advances we make we often will forget about someone or a group of people. In our last class something was mentioned about a bubble of sound being installed at the Children's Museum. My comment was what about the hearing impaired people? I have a friend who is from Brazil. We have often talked about some similar subjects over the phone. He is working and going to school in California. We met on the computer. I had a class mate from Brazil in my video class I took here at IUPUI. We met up with her family to work on a video project together. I found her family to be really nice. Her family was from Brazil. It was really one of my first experiences with visiting another family from a different culture. One thing I noticed about the Brazilian Family is that they are so friendly. They seem to welcome you in with open arms. The first thing I was asked is if I wanted something to eat. I was very shocked by this as this is something I thought that only my family did. Most American families are not so friendly. Most Americans are about getting ahead and what is right for them. Most Americans in my observations are all about themselves. However what I had noticed about this Brazilian culture is that they are all about people. They are about helping others and getting to know somebody. I often find that is what is missing in the American Culture. Another Observation is that I see other countries becoming Americanized. What I mean by that is we are seeing malls and McDonalds on more and more foreign soil. I think this day in age, being a very small world; we should appreciate each other's differences. Yet we should somehow unify ourselves to stand on common ground. I feel that we can learn from each other.

    Rick

    ReplyDelete
  2. Marcelo I would really like to ask a couple of questions.. How many people have computers, at that matter Televisions in Ecuador. How feasible would it be to push into upgrading Ecuador’s e-commerce if they don't have a way of receiving the information? I do believe offering it at a larger audience would be a great idea..but if they don't have the means to get the information then what would you do?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well as your colleague I am interested to see where this takes you, on the other end hopefully we will both bounce ideas and studies with each other in our program

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was incredibly interested to hear you talk about how technologies don't work in the same way in other countries, as they do here in the U.S.. Whether it be interfering governments, access to electricity and new technologies, as well as the infrastructure to support them, are different everywhere. There are many other countries that have faster/better internet that the U.S., and even some places that offer wireless access for free.
    I agree that we seem to be losing touch, in the U.S. with our interpersonal (in person) communication skills. We eat in front of the TV, send emails, text people on their cell phones, yet rarely converse with others in-person any more. In some ways, we communicate much more than we ever have, but the quality of our one-on-one communication is suffering. Maybe it is because we don't get to practice reading body language, or because we have become detached from the emotional nature of an in-person conversation. I think people are more connected than they ever have been, but it seems so much more "surface" communication, not as meaningful.

    ReplyDelete